April 22, 2009

I am embarking on...

starting my own business. I want to help Nat out w/the family income, but how? I could go out & get a job @ night, but that is not an option (I can't guarantee when he will be home). I thought about Creative Memories, Avon, Mary Kay, but those are out of the question! I have finally figured out how I am going to help with the income.... I am going to start my own Etsy shop. I will be making knitted, crocheted, cross stitched items, and anything else handmade. I just need help with a name. Everything that is sold on Etsy, has to be handmade. I need a name that is catchy, has spunk, and will keep 'em coming. So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me come up w/a catchy name. Once I set up shop, I will let ya'll know so you can see what I have to offer. I will be taking special orders as well. These tips on Name Picking are from Etsy:

Things to consider when choosing a shop name:

  • Choose a name that is easy to remember and spell. You want potential buyers to be able to recognize, remember, and be able to find you again, even if they have briefly visited your shop.
  • Try to limit your shop name to one or two words that flow well together. For example, “JessicasDesigns” works a thousand times better than something like “beaddesignsbyjessica.” Make sense?
  • Take inspiration from others. Sit down with a piece of paper and writing utensil and ask yourself: “What sellers do I know the name of on Etsy?” It doesn’t have to be your favorite seller or any reason other than the fact you remembered their name. This is key. After you have your list of remembered names, take a look at them. Why are they so memorable? After asking yourself these questions, take inspiration from what these sellers have done to create your own memorable name.
  • Think about legalities. Some words and names are trademarked, so do your homework first to avoid a possible conflict later. Consider consulting an attorney if you need specialized advice in this area.
  • Once you have decided on a name for your shop, take advantage of capital letters to make the appearance of your shop name more cohesive. If you have two words in your shop name, create a visual separation by making the first letters of each word capital letters instead of lowercase. For example, “BoyfriendLetters” reads so much better than “boyfriendletters.” Plus, capitalization doesn’t make a difference when people type your shop name in their browser, it won’t be harder for them to find you.
  • If you are selling a very specific product or certain type of supply, it wouldn’t hurt to actually put the basic name of what you are selling in your shop name; this way your shop will show up in most relevant search engines whenever someone does a basic search for “X item” that you are selling. But be careful: if you're thinking about branching out to other types of items, you may not want to follow this tip.
  • Last but not least, your shop name should reflect your style in one way or another. If you choose a really elegant name, it would make sense to have elegant items in your shop. If you choose a quirky or clever name, it would make sense that your products reflect that style.

No comments: