July 10, 2010

Gearing Up

picture taken from clker.com
We start our first day of school on Monday (yes, July 12th)... I am a prepared, but need to still make some last minute lesson plans, organization, etc. We ended school a little early last year (ending @ the end of April), because I went and helped my sister for two weeks, to get ready to move to a different country. What a better time to actually start school? I mean, we are going to have some HOT spells here in Ca, and what a better way to spend the hottest part of the day when we can't go out and play? We are going to slowly work into our schedule and just plain have fun. I have decided not to go with a charter again this year for a couple of reasons... 1- last year I was just getting my feet wet for not having to answer to anyone, and learning how to do it on my own. I have learned what I loved & not loved about not being with a charter school, what I need to work on for myself, the style that I/we want to go with. 2- we might be moving out of state. When I started homeschooling, I had no idea how I wanted to do it, it was kind of a spur of the moment decision. But, it was the best decision we ever made four years ago. I tried and loved the Classical Education the second & third year, tried and liked most of the ideas from Charlotte Mason method the fourth year (last year), but found it a little to 'unschooling' for my taste (it is just me, my personality)... So, this year, I am going back to Classical, with just a little twist of Charlotte Mason. I guess that is why I love homeschooling so much! I can teach and nurture my children the way I want and the way that they need it. This year, we are doing things a little different... we are doing school for three weeks, then taking a week off, year round. Another thing is, I am not going to do 'grade' level with the kids. When they finish a book (math or what ever), we will go onto the next book. I think that this is the best for our family as I have two struggling learners and one that I have to challenge so as not to get bored.

No comments: